Sunday, May 27, 2012

just BEACHY!

Hi,

Last week, as I was shopping in West Elm, I spotted this adorable burlap star garland and thought how perfect it would look hanging in my nephew's room. Or any little boy's room, for that matter.


When I came home later and searched it out online, I found myself completely sidetracked (sheesh! that seems to be happening to me A LOT these days!).

What was I saying?...

Oh, yes, I got sidetracked and ended up finding a whole bunch of other, equally delightful, BEACH inspired products and images. You see, I, like many of you, love the beach. I had the good fortune growing up to spend many a blissful family vacation on sunny Sanibel Island. I have fond memories of those trips. After a long hiatus (i.e. student debt, children, mortgage), I've recently been reacquainted with the sun, the sand, and the surf. It was as beautiful, as serene, and as picturesque as I'd remembered. And, in a nod to coastal living (a girl from Toronto can dream, can't she?), here are some of my new favourite things:


Check out these gorgeous glass lamps from Pottery Barn. I especially love the aqua one (surprise, surprise!).

Oh, and how decadent is this new palm leaf pillow by Allegra Hicks for West Elm?



Anything seagrass instantly makes me swoon! I love these chairs by Pottery Barn.




There was a time (probably only a few years ago) when I was not fussy for shutters. In fact, I desperately wanted to remove the faux shutters from the front of my house (I thought they looked cluttered - plus, they were a hideous shade of forest green). Fast forward a few years (and a paint job), and I quite like my shutters. In fact, I may just have changed my opinion about them altogether. This louvered room divider  is shabby chic meets coastal charm.

And, I wouldn't be doing this aesthetic any justice at all if I didn't also share some gorgeous beach-inspired rooms:


Mmm...burlap, shells, starfish, and candlelight! Who even needs cake? I love this table scape. 
1



Nothing says "beach" quite like wood paneling, slipcovers, and twill. 
2


This is elegant coastal living at its best. Understated and refined. Palm fronds, beach glass vases, and a classic cabana stripe. Very Tommy Bahama. 
3


Ooooh...blue glass subway tile. It looks amazing against the white cabinetry, the marble counter top, and the texture of the matchstick blinds. 
4


Red and off-white is such a classic pairing! I love the framed botanical prints, the coral accent pillow, and the straw market basket. 
5


And, last but not least, check out this gorgeous foyer. The gallery wall is stunning, as are the millwork, and the pendant fixtures. 
6

So, if you are fortunate enough to fall asleep each night to the sound of crashing waves, or, if you are somewhat land-locked like me (and have to visit the neighbourhood playground in order to feel the sand between your toes), I hope you can see that, no matter your geography, there is always a place for the beach at home. 

Kerry 


No comments:

Post a Comment